Saturday, April 9, 2011

I Will Stand By You


This painting was submitted to Alice Thompson's Calypso Moon Artist Movement, April challenge.  This blooming cherry tree (Sakura in Japanese) is in the yard of an elementary school in Japan. It is old and venerable, often pruned, and with its branches shaped by the wind making it a perfect symbol of wisdom and strength. Along with Mt. Fuji in the background, they are signs of hope for the children, and all the people of Japan in the light of the recent disaster.

The painting's title is from the words of a song by Rascal Flatts. This song gives another layer of meaning to this painting.   Ever since I first heard this song, it has moved me in many ways. In this instance, it is how I think the people of America, and we as artists, feel about the people of Japan. Listen to it and see if you don't agree.  "I won't let go! .  Thank you to Alice Thompson for a most meaningful and interesting challenge.

7"x5" acrylic on canvas panel

$50.

3 comments:

  1. Nice work. I am also painting a cherry tree for the virtual printout. We will see how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like whole composition Jean .The majestic mountain in the background gives strength to the tree and its fragile blossoms.All in all a very graceful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like this very much Jean. Your colors are wonderful and I love trees! You gave this so much thought & meaning, and it shows! Good job!

    ReplyDelete