Sunday, October 17, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons ...

 ... paint them. This painting was done for Lela's Paint and Draw Together challenge. In posting her photo of lemons and flower, artist's were challenged to simplify the composition and let it speak to us. I chose impressionism rendered with a palette knife. The shadows and lights were important to the still life, so I chose to emphasize the light by offering glorious lemony yellow sunshine pouring through the window - matching the lemons which keep company with the Nasturtiums - a cascade of brilliant oranges, yellows and yellow greens. Accented by a deep cobalt blue vase and popped with a white bowl which draws your eyes to a focal point of the painting - the humble lemons. I know that my painting is a departure from the original photo - but this is where my imagination took me and what I heard it speak to me.
Click on picture for a better view.

8"x10" acrylic: palette knife on canvas  

No comments:

Post a Comment